How Many People Use Social Media?
How Many People Use Social Media?
Whether it’s connecting users across continents, communicating news, or helping brands share an idea, social media has become an indispensable part of everyday life for many of us. As of 2020, social media users have crossed the 3.8 billion mark. That’s 49% of the world’s total population!
How Many People Use Social Media – Usage in Numbers
Here are some of the most popular social networks, ranked by number of users as of January 2021.
- Facebook: Facebook is the largest social media platform. It has over 2.7 billion monthly active users and remains an excellent platform for brands to market their products.
- YouTube: With 2.2 billion monthly active users, YouTube is the world’s largest video-sharing social networking site.
- WhatsApp: This instant messaging platform lets users share text messages, images, voice notes, audio files, documents, and videos. WhatsApp boasts 2 billion active users per month.
- Facebook Messenger: Classified as a platform for messaging, chat, and/or calls, FB Messenger has 1.3 billion monthly active users.
- Instagram: This photo and video-sharing app was launched in 2010. It has since become a hit among users of all age groups and has over 1.2 billion monthly active users today.
- WeChat (Weixin): This all-in-one communications app for messaging and calling has 1.2 billion users per month.
- TikTok (Douyin): Famous for its lip-sync videos, TikTok has 689 million monthly active users. The platform offers plenty of filters and augmented reality features to add to your videos.
- QQ: QQ is an instant messaging social media platform with 617 million monthly active users from more than 80 countries.
- QZone: QZone has 517 million active users per month. You can use it to share photos, watch videos, listen to songs, write blogs, keep a diary, and more.
- Sina Weibo: This is a Chinese microblogging and social networking website with 511 million monthly active users. Simply put, Sina Weibo is a hybrid of Twitter and Facebook.
- Snapchat: Snapchat is an image messaging social platform popular among youngsters. It has 498 million active users per month.
- Reddit: On Reddit, users can submit, discuss, and vote on content that other users have submitted. The site has 430 million monthly active users.
- Kuaishou: This Chinese video-sharing platform has been active since 2011, and currently boasts 481 million monthly active users.
- Pinterest: Pinterest is a visual pinboard and scrapbook with 430 million monthly active users.
- Twitter: Twitter is a platform for sharing short posts called tweets. While it now has only 386 million monthly active users, it does have a great engagement rate.
How Many People Use Social Media – Who Uses
Today, people of all age groups around the world have adopted social media. Young adults embraced it first, but in recent years, usage by older adults has increased, too.
As a whole, younger generations use social media more frequently than older ones. To break it down, on a daily basis:
- 89% of Generation Z (born between 1997 – 2015)
- 88% of Millennials or Generation Y (born between 1981 – 1996)
- 81% of Generation X (born between 1965 – 1980)
- 86% of Baby Boomers (born between 1946 – 1964)
How Many People Use Social Media – Time Spent
An average user spends 144 minutes every day on social media. The most active users, aged between 16 to 24, spend an average of 3 hours and 1 minute daily on various platforms.
Here’s a breakdown of time spent on social media every day by continent:
- South America: 3 hours and 24 minutes
- Africa: 3 hours and 10 minutes
- Asia: 2 hours and 16 minutes
- North America: 2 hours and 6 minutes
- Europe: 1 hour and 15 minutes
How Many People Use Social Media – Why People Use
People are spending greater time on social media platforms than ever before. But social media certainly means different things to different users.
Here’s a lowdown on the top reasons for using social media:
- Staying in touch with friends and family
- Being up-to-date with news and current events
- Expanding professional networks
- Searching for solutions to problems
- Looking for entertainment
- Marketing or business promotion
- Meeting new people or online dating
Modern-Day Tool for Marketers
Be it connecting with friends, staying informed on current news, or filling up free time, social media offers an ever-increasing variety of things to do. As people continue to rely on it, social media has emerged as a powerful tool for businesses to understand their customers.
You can use social media to connect with your audience. Engage with other users, run ads, create campaigns, and see your business grow. And the best part? Social media marketing is cost-effective.
Use the various social media platforms right, and you’ll find yourself with a great tool for your business! Social Media needs to be part of your overall Digital Marketing Strategy!
Ladical Digital Marketing is a full-service digital marketing agency headquartered in Waterloo, Ontario Canada. If you would like more information on how we can help you improve your “Social Media” presence, please call us at 888-750-8860 or use our web contact form.
**Source of Statistics Provided by Statista.com